Olive oil – 2tsp
Brown onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic – 2clove(s), crushed
Mexican Chilli powder – 2tsp
Tomato paste – 1tbs
Canned red kidney beans – 1 can
Canned black beans – 1 can
Canned pinto beans – 1 can
Canned corn kernels – 1 can
Vegetable stock cube – to make 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable stock
Dried oregano – 1tsp
Orange sweet potato – ~800g, cut into 2cm pieces
Skim milk – 2tbs
Fresh coriander – 2tbs, leaves, to serve
Oil spray – 1 x 3 second spray
- Chop sweet potato into 2cm cubes and roast at 180deg for 45-60 minutes or until cooked.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, chilli powder and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Drain and rinse the corn kernels. Set aside.
- Drain the beans, setting aside approx 125ml (1/2 cup) of the Aquafaba (the viscous water) from the black beans and pinto beans.
- Mix beans together, set aside 1/3 of the beans and mash with a potato masher.
- Add beans, corn kernels, stock, aquafaba, mashed beans and oregano and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a 1.5 litre (6-cup) capacity ovenproof dish.
- Mash sweet potato in a large bowl with milk. Spoon mash over vegetable mixture and lightly spray with oil.
- Preheat grill on high. Grill pie for 5 minutes or until light golden. Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander leaves.